Most people find accessing a telehealth appointment straightforward. Others may be overwhelmed by the technology and need to adapt to this form of consultation. There are some simple steps everyone can take that will improve the experience.
Prior to the appointment
- Write down a list of your concerns and questions so you do not forget any.
- Find out if you need to register for or download an App.
- Have your child’s medications, recent growth measurements and previous medical reports in proximity.
- If you have photos you would like to share, put these all in one folder as this will save time looking for them.
Select the device you will use
- If you have a condition that you would involve showing parts of the body, consider using a mobile device as this can easily be angled and adjusted. To recreate an “in person” feel, a bigger desktop screen may be ideal as it allows both parties to see each other’s facial expressions and body language more clearly.
To improve quality of the consultation
- Conduct the appointment in the part of the house with the strongest Wi-Fi signal. Connectivity can be improved by using a wired connection.
- Pick an area that has plenty of light coming from in front of you so your doctor can see you clearly.
- Make sure your device is fully charged or plugged in.
- Close any other programs or applications than could affect your internet speed.
- Make use of the pre-test feature available in most platforms. Check in 10minutes early to familiarise yourself with the display, check your microphone and camera
- Find a quiet space where you are less likely to be distracted and overhead if privacy is an issue. Avoid conducting a medical consultation in public areas.
- Young children can be involved-have a toy/book on hand to keep them occupied.
- Choose a comfortable place to sit.
- Keep your phone close as you can use this as a backup if needed.
- Remain patient as technology can be frustrating at times.